MTD Model 600 series

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jetengine, Mar 12, 2008.

1. jetengine

jetengine LawnSite Member

Hi all,I'm new to this site and have a question concerning my Tractor.
    I want to pull the rear wheels and Lube them but am unsure if I use grease or anti-seize compound.
    Any comments would be appreciated.
    jetengine

2. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

I had one that was "shift on the fly" 7 speed manual with the variable pulley setup. The tranny went bad and I put a used one in. Pulling the wheels off the old tranny was no easy chore. Penetrating oil then heat, cool, penetrating oil then heat, on and on. I think they finally came off with a two-prong puller and brass hammer. I used anti-seize to re-install -- but unless they just pull right off easy, I don't recommend messing with it unless you have no choice to do a repair. I doubt there was any anti-seize used at the factory.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I can confirm that there wasn't, They never did and as far as I know still don't.

At every MTD up-date seminar I've attended over the years this subject was brought up and 20/30 of us complained about it. Their reasoning was it would take too much time and labor to do it.

4. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, those frills cost money, at least that's what Peter Falk said in California Dolls.

5. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

The old ones didn't, but the new ones (post-1997) do have anti-sieze on them.
    It will still fling off after so many years, though.

A side note to pulling off the rear wheels.....DON'T use a slide hammer (or anything else that impacts the axle shaft) to get the wheels off. The action of repeatedly beating on the axle will cause you to pull the STEEL axless right through the ALUMINUM housings.

I did that one day on a particulary old tractor. Guy didn't want to buy a tire, so he had me put in a tube. Wound up with a $600 estimate (He junked the tractor).

6. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

I know the brass hammer was a no-no, but the tranny was bad and soon to go to the scrapyard. With the tranny removed from the frame it was 1.5 to 2 hours to get the wheels off it.

7. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

After that fiasco, I quickly came to the realization that people don't want to pay for expensive stuff on a $1000.00 tractor.

I now recommend junking them if the Transmission, Deck or engine need more than $400.00 in parts. (Labor rate was $65.00/HR.)

8. Jay19LM

Jay19LM LawnSite Member
    from Mo

I did a MTD tranny this week. I leave the tires and wheels on. I block up the tranny case and take one case half off. Everything usually stays put. THis one wouldn't shift. The shift collar was hanging up on the key it slides back and forth on. First one I repaired that only needed a $4.oo part.

9. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Mine was running so hot it was like touching a hot stove, and slipping on hills (I put the 2 new drive belts on first, hoping that would solve it. When that didn't work, I couldn't believe I when it touched the rear of the case). Guess I should have opened it up to see what the problem was but am pretty sure it would not have been a cheap fix.

10. jetengine

jetengine LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the expert info.I will attempt removal this week-end,will keep you aprised of the results " Great forum "