MTD Mower thoughts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CS Lawns, Feb 18, 2002.

1. CS Lawns

CS Lawns LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Looked at a new Exmark 48" fixed deck today $4300.00 there was also a 54" fixed deck Hydro MTD there, dealer said wanted to get rid of it for someone it is new still needs put together said he would sell it for $3500.00 are these good or bad should I buy or run??
  2. plow kid

plow kid Banned

I do believe that MTD PRO (oxymoron MTD = PRO :p ;) ) make the Lesco Mower found @ Lesco, there was a thread recently, heres the link ~NaTe

lesco / mtd pro
  3. kerr lawn

kerr lawn LawnSite Member

anything that says mtd i won't buy it JUNK
    buy that exmark and never look back
  4. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Is it a fixed deck 52" or hung deck 54". I own a Lesco 52WB
    since 1996 no problems.Ed
  5. CS Lawns

CS Lawns LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

It is a fixed deck, nice lookin mower but was leary of it since it was so cheap not to mention the dealer said try to get rid of it for a guy. Just trying to get the pros advice on the line
  6. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

i personally would stay away, also remember most of the time u get what u pay for, ive heard a lot of negative stuff on here about them too, no personal experience though.
  7. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

You get what you pay for or less. I would skip it.

8. Wayne Offiler

Wayne Offiler LawnSite Member

I would take issue with most LCOs on the subject of MTD-Pro. This is a separate factory, and though owned by MTD, not to be confused with their homeowner line of products.
    Look closely at the MTD. How rugged is it made: how do the welds look? What gauge is the steel? Are the spindle bearings hefty? Who makes the hydro units and wheel motors? What's it got for an engine? 54" machine should have minimum 17HP. Kohler, Vanguard, and Kawasaki are all good.
    If you will be the only operator, and you take good care of your equipment, most any decent machine will give you good service.
    $3500 for a new 54" hydro deserves a real close look. (But if the power is not there, forget it.)
  9. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Nobody is compairing it to Home Depot mowers. They are compairing it to a lesco walk behind, because its the exact same mower. Is this dealer going to service this mower? Does he have parts? Lesco does't have the best track record. (probably because they are made by MTD)LOL
  10. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

MTD = Made To Disintegrate.

Enough said.