MTD Pro 21" Self-Propel SUCKS!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by asyracus, Aug 4, 2004.

1. asyracus

asyracus LawnSite Member

I just got a 21", 6.5hp MTD Pro with the Kawaskaki engine from Sam's Club. With less than 10 hours on it, the self-propel mechanism breaks on me!! Before that, I was loving it.....the Kawasaki engine is really powerful, and really heavy to push when the self propel breaks.

Just a word of warning.....the MTD Pro Self-Propel SUCKS!:angry:

2. asyracus

asyracus LawnSite Member

By the way.....I thought that the MTD Pro was the commercial line, but evidently not. After all, it does have the 6.5hp Kawaskai.

Does anyone else out there use this mower?

3. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

By the way, anything that says MTD should not be used by a landscaper

4. fubunics

fubunics LawnSite Member

I bought a 'nice' crapsmen 21" with a 5.5 HP Honda, BBC, etc., etc. at the start of this year (because I had store credit to be used at sears). This is also before I was fully aware of the POS that I was really buying. It was their best model of 21" they carried at the time - a $500+ mower. Engine was great, mower had lots of nice features, etc. Literally by the 4th or 5th lawn that I had used it on, the transmission started slipping in one of the wheels. Had to push the mother#*^%#% around within a couple of hours of use! Why do I bring this up? It uses the same transmisson as your mower (AYP crap I believe). I've seen the mower you have, and if it had a decent transmission, it would be a steal - the engine alone is worth about $250. Your mower is also rebadged as Cub Cadet Commercial, Troybuilt, and probably others. I have since become 'aquainted' with this particular transmission on several other mowers that I've seen on other mowers - Yardman, Sears, Husqavarna, etc. The easy way to spot mowers with these transmissions is the lever used to engage the transmission on the handles. My grandpa also bought a crapsmen with the same transmission, and had the same problems within a few mowings. My sister has a Yardman with this transmission, and the plastic gears in the wheels to engage the transmission have stripped out. Blah, blah, blah. Yeah, they are POS. I have since bought three mid 90's Toro Recyclers (aluminum deck), used homeowner models, for about $150 for the 3 of them. They are very good mowers for homeowner models, and they have a GOOD transmission in them. Find a couple of these used, or buy a Proline Toro.

5. fubunics

fubunics LawnSite Member

chevyman, by the way, MTD Pro's walk behinds (36, 48) are excellent mowers. I have a Lesco 36 and it is a great mower - and MTD Pro is the same mower with different engines. I decided to go with Lesco for about $300 more because of the engine - Kawasaki 420V 14HP vs. Briggs 13HP on the MTD PRO. But they are the SAME MOWER otherwise.

6. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

those aren't available around the NE, sorry. Could be good walkbehinds, who knows

7. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I believe my Cub Cadet 21" with casters is made by MTD.I've used it all season with no problems.
    IMHO,mowers get damaged more by trailering than using,especially light 21" mowers.I strap it down tight,so that it can't move when I hit a bump and I always lock the casters while on the trailer.

8. asyracus

asyracus LawnSite Member

I had heard good comments on the Cub Cadet 21", and I realized that the MTD was essentially the same mower......but evidently, the same piece of crap mower.

I just called Sam's club, and they'll refund me since it's only a couple of weeks old. I think that I'll buy a Lawnboy this time.

9. Lawnboy112

Lawnboy112 LawnSite Member

I have the same one, its a 2002 model. No problems so far, has about 150 hours. Take it to the dealer down the street every month and before winter. Just my two cents.

10. asyracus

asyracus LawnSite Member