Mtd Pro 36"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SomervilleLawncare, Sep 9, 2007.

1. SomervilleLawncare

SomervilleLawncare LawnSite Member

I'm aware MTD isnt the greatest name in lawnmowers, but I found a 2005 MTD PRO 36"walk behind with a 13 horse B&S commercial engine with around 50 hours on it and in new condition for right around $500. Is this somthing I should consider right away or is it a headache in the making? I'm only using a 21" right now and really need a 36" Thanks for the help guys!

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

the mtd pro is the same as the cub cadet commercial and lesco mowers. it sounds like a heck of a deal and if you do buy you should seriously consider putting a new kawasaki kai engine on it.
  3. IHusky

IHusky LawnSite Senior Member

H_ll yeah jump on it. Most guys have to shell out $1200-$2000 to get into a used wb with low hours like that. You'll kick yourself in the azz for not going wb sooner. The guy that does my neighbors yard, has a 32" mtd wb (kohler motor) and he's been in business for 7 years, same mower. He is just part timer, but he is doing 28-30 lawns per weekend. Do the math and he made a sh_t pot full of money off that mower, that mower has paid for itself and a whole lot more. You'll make back your $500 very quick. That sounds like a pretty good deal, even if you just got it as a backup. I would run that briggs unit it goes, why not get some use out of it, then buy the kohler or kaw.
  4. swingset

swingset LawnSite Member

That's too good of a deal to pass up, unless it breaks BADLY the first week, you can make your money back in no time.
  5. SomervilleLawncare

Thanks for the input guys, I ended up buying it for $550 and I couldnt be happier so far. I mowed my lawn with it tonight and it did a great job, was easy to handle, and cut my mowing time in about a 1/3
  6. 2G&D

2G&D LawnSite Member

Exact same situation for me.....last year a friend "upgraded" and offered me his MTD 36....2005 model 50 hours for 550...I told him to go by the house and drop it off and I would have my wife cut him a check....I was so surprised at the quality of cut....great little mower....I know before evryone writes it that there are much better mowers...but the bang for the buck here is just unsurpassed and the little B and S does just fine.....
  7. kjslawn

kjslawn LawnSite Senior Member

I also looked at one this week hydro for 1000 I might go back to get it
  8. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

I would buy that!
  9. IHusky

IHusky LawnSite Senior Member

Man, that was such a good deal. Can you post some pictures, I would like to see it. That mower will pay for itself in two or three days of good mowing for a part timer.
  10. SomervilleLawncare

Here are some pics of the mower...