1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

MTD Pro nameplate to ride off into the sunset?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pottstim, Oct 17, 2003.

1. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

I was at the Lesco warehouse today in Knoxville to look at some new broadcast spreaders. The salesman and I were standing there chatting about the Lesco walkbehinds. I told him I understood they were made by MTD. He said you are correct, they are built by MTD, but they are a Lesco design. Then we got talking about the MTD Pro line of commercial mowers. He said did you know that they are doing away with the name? I told him I had not heard this. He explained that people don't take the MTD name seriously when it comes to commercial products because they are known for homeowner products. Instead, of using the MTD Pro name, they are going use the Cub Cadet Commercial name on all of their commercial grade products. Has anyone else heard of this?
  2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I heard about it, but I still look at Cub Cadet as being a homeowner product. Who knows, maybe they will build a name for themselves in the commercial industry on down the road.
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Lesco design????

I heard that one too and I think it's horse sh_t!!! MTD designs and builds mowers, so does Cub. But Lesco????.......Come on now, let's be honest. MTD Pro/Cub Commercial/Lesco are all the same except the paint and I don't believe Lesco designed anything more than the paint scheme and stickers.

As far as the MTD Pro name being history, that's what I heard from Northern Tool last year. That's why they say they won't have access to the commercial mowers anymore.
  4. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

your right, cub does make some residential products for the home owner class, and they also make commercial products for their commercial class owners like me. They supply products for both worlds. Very good business idea, The commercial line of Cub/MTD/Lesco Have some of the same products as quite possibly, your exmark, matter of fact they might even be making and selling some parts to exmark, that is manufactured in a MTD plant, as they do some other commercial mower big names. As far as building a name for themselves, I think they are, their at 5% of the market, at least thats what I was told, better then last year 2%, and the year before 0%, I know its does'nt sound like much, but its growth.:)
  5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

my lesco 48 is a pre-mtd machine. it is very much like the corresponding skag unit.

I can sing nothing but praises for my lesco because it has performed wonderfully for what I have asked it to do.:)

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

MTD just bought Kioti tractors so they can have a larger frame tractor with more HP. MTD philosopy is just buy other co. its cheaper than starting one.
  7. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

MTD has been going back and forth on this name crap for a while. My mowers are Cub Cadet Commercial. Then they did away with that line and went to soley MTD Pro for a few years. Now, they are moving back to Cub Commercial. I think if they stopped flip flopping, they could build a product rep. Any way you slice it, it's all the same machine. I'd rather have a yellow, white and blue mower than another same old same old red color.

8. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Geogunn I have a 52 Lesco pre mtd. They also made

a Walker clone. And a 52" rider w 25 Koh. Ed