mtd pro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnboyil, Jun 12, 2000.

1. lawnboyil

lawnboyil LawnSite Member

we just bought a mtd pro 48&quot; its has only 8 hours. so anybody used one before any more info on how well these things work would be helpful<br>alex<p>----------<br>If it works run with it<br>

2. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

ummmmm well..............first of all.......ummm........I am sorry inadvance.

3. GrassRoots Lawn Care

GrassRoots Lawn Care Guest

We ran one before with another guy I used to work for.... columbiapower said it best.<p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>GrassRoots Lawn Care, Florida

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

MTD makes homeowner models,I wish you luck with it,If you are doing your own lawn with it-fine,if you expect it to hold up commercially-well you better have a good backup mower,and a lot of patience.<p>----------<br>John D<br>

5. dylan

dylan Member
    from Ontario

I posted before about the lemon I have from MTD Pro. Now that you have it you might as well use it, but for everyone else; NEVER BUY MTD PRO!<br>Why you ask?<p>Mine is 1 yr old and has:<br>-had the deck broken off in under 50 hrs<br>-shredded 2 of 5 gears<br>-broken pulleys<br>-missing parts<br>-blown gasket<br>-delivery times for parts is never under 1 month<br>-trips to dealer to get stuff fixed &lt; 7 &gt;<br> 1 hr each way<br>- 5 week wait with no mower because gasket was not in stock<p>And you think I would of learned my lesson but instead I traded the lemon in on a 18 hp<br>48&quot; widetrack hydro.<br>Got it home and put 1 hr on before boom and white smoke everywhere. Wires on fire.<br>Returned it and they gave me another one.<br>2 days and 30 hrs later (playing catchup) boom and white smoke and more fire. They tell me the timing was great because the first one was just about fixed. I tell them they can keep their mowers and I'll take my money back. <br>Mtd Pro will never get my approval.<br>Dylan

6. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

We have one and not have that bad of luck with it. I would never buy one again but it is not the worst mower out there. I will only buy Exmark from now on. We have had great luck with them and until something happens that changes my mind I will not buy any other mower. As for probs getting parts if you need something give us an email and we can give you the guys # we got ours from, we had to get a part for our exmark and they cost the least and got it there the next day. I think it all the dealer which you choose in how your service is handled.

7. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

man i looked at one of those things a month ago they are sooo heavy for a walkbehind.

8. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

i run 3 wb and 1 rider all exmark. the best mowers. they are truly PRO

9. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

MTD. Made To Disintegrate.<p>Karl<br>

10. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

lawnboy - Not trying to bash you or anything, but why do you buy the machine first, than ask about it? If you have 8 hours on it, you obviously used it. What do you think about it? Its kind of late to get opinions on the machine after you buy it! Theres 1000 people here to help you, just ask! Plus use the search feature on the site and you would have came up with a lot of (negative) opinions on MTD's products. Hope its working out for you, even though I won't support that name brand!<p>----------<br>&quot;guido&quot;<br>David M. Famiglietti