1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

MTD rider not starting

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by desert rose gardening, Feb 6, 2012.

1. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

Its a 1999 Mtd 14 1/2HP 42 inch cut rider that wont start. Battery charged, connections clean. It clicks at that thing under the seat where the + connects to the small thing and then the + gos to the starter. Maybe that needs replacing? No I don't use it for work so don't jump on my case!:nono: Its used for going down to feed the horses or get the mail. Thanks for the advice.:waving:

2. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

3. Handydadto4

Handydadto4 LawnSite Member

That little "small thing" under the seat is the starter selenoid and they often go bad. They are fairly cheap to replace (approx $15). There is a fairly easy way to test it to see if it is the problem. Put the key in the run position, and cross the two posts on that starter selenoid with a screwdriver...if it cranks the motor you have a bad selenoid.

4. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Not so fast Handydad....if there is no power from the key switch to the start post on the solenoid, the solenoid even if its good, won't engage. On riders , this power goes thru a multitude of safety switches before it gets to the solenoid.Tracing electricity is just like checking for water in pipes. Find out where you have it and track it to where you don't.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Handydadto4

He stated that he just gets a clicking noise when he turns the key.....I would take that to mean that there was power to the key and back to the solenoid and that's why I jumped on the solenoid as the source of the problem.

6. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Perhaps.....I did skim the op a little fast. ....
    Didn't mean to get you "started"......
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Handydadto4

Just wanted you to know I had actually thought it out lol.

8. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

:laugh: . [​IMG]

9. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the help:clapping: I'll try the screwdriver across the solenoid in the morning.

10. PK Mows

PK Mows LawnSite Member

The easiest way to test this is with a voltmeter. Look for 12 volts at the battery side of the solenoid. Then, with someone in the seat with the parking brake set, the deck turned off, and the key in the Start position, check for 12 volts at the small wire on the solenoid and again at the starter. If you have 12 volts everywhere, you have another issue.

Since the solenoid is clicking, you likely do have a bad solenoid, it can't click unless it gets power from the key switch. If you have 12 volts at the Battery side of the solenoid and at the small wire from the key switch and do NOT have 12 volts on the starter side of the solenoid when the key is in Start, the parking brake is set and the deck is turned off, you have a bad solenoid.

But, if you have 12 volts going into the starter, does the starter try to engage? If it does, is it struggling to turn the engine over? If it is, and you have a Briggs engine, then you need to start by adjusting the valves.

If you do not have 12 volts at the small wire on the solenoid, then you have a bad key switch, a bad brake switch or a bad PTO switch, or bad wiring in one of those circuits.