MTD-Ryobi-Troy Bilt trimmer gearbox

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by captain_pants, Oct 18, 2005.

1. captain_pants

captain_pants LawnSite Member
    from kc mo

MTD sells the straight shaft trimmer head under several names and they all have the same gearbox. The history is that the gears strip and in the parts lookup, they do not offer a rebuild kit, just the entire gearbox. MY constant problems in situations like these are finding out who makes the gearbox for MTD. I don't want the whole gearbox, there's nothing wrong with the one I have, just the gears. ANY help with this could solve a problem for many people as I see on many forums that this is a common problem.
    THX, Dave

2. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Only problem is, even if you COULD find the manufacturer of the gearbox (still probably MTD) and get just the gears, the sum of the parts would be the same as the whole. Throw away units are not manufactured to be rebuilt. Sadly this holds true with some commercial stuff also as far as rebuilding the gear box, but usually with commercial equipment you get 3 to 4 times or more life out of it before something like that happens (under normal use).

3. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

EDIT: sorry, double posted

4. captain_pants

captain_pants LawnSite Member
    from kc mo

yeah, they're glad to offer you a new trimmer head for $59 retail or sell you the whole gearbox for $49 plus shipping. Corporate pigdogs. I"ll ebay a curved shaft that has no gears before I shell out any more money to MTD.

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I have several of these straight shart models. I presume you are talking about the ones that have the "speed spool" yellow head? The only straight shaft trimmer head that rotates CLOCKWISE the same direction as a curved shaft trimmer.

I have bought all new gearboxes before too but I think I could have fixed them myself. If you take apart the 2 halves of the head where the gears are housed you see 2 sets of double bearings, one on top and one on bottom. I noticed that there was a small ammount of up and down play in the slots they were setting in, if both sides silde too far the gears no longer mesh together tightly and then slip.

Ok, that's what I TOUGHT was going wrong.... Later I discovered, after much tinkering, that my split shaft has a stop collor on it at the top that rests on the plastic lining inside the tube. This lining has slid down in the tube and then the connector in the middle was jsut barely hanging on. It would work, then suddenly slip. If Id let the engine idle and give it a shake it would go back together again! Once I slid that plastic lining back up it worked fine.

My trimmers (ryobi) are the "commercial model" which has essentially an Echo engine. I just recently bought a new one, just for the new powerhead (engine and upper shaft) the lower part is a curved shaft trimmer. I will most likely never use this curved shaft one as I use my existing straight shaft ones that are now obsolete... If you would like a curved shaft trimmer attachment I would part with this one (brand new) for 20 bucks + shipping.