MTD tiller?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by terryzrx1200, Nov 23, 2007.

1. terryzrx1200

terryzrx1200 LawnSite Member

I was given a 1986 MTD rear tine tiller that had been sitting outside for about a year. Only problem I have is with engine off and pulling backwards the right side wheel does not move, but when pushed forward both wheels rotate. I do know that the right side wheel is the drive wheel that turns the axl for both wheels. Any ideas? By the way I was given the tiller from a friend for free. I cleaned it up, lubed everything cleaned the carb, dumped the old gas and changed the oil and the baby started on the third pull. What a deal. It looks like a solid machine. Anyone ever own one of these. Still need to replace both drive cables ( tine drive and wheel drive). Thanks Terry

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Posting the model number off this unit would be helpful....

3. terryzrx1200

model number is 405-000.

4. Restrorob

As you can see in the pic below the wheel axle is a one piece shaft, Check your wheel to axle pins and or see if you can pull one wheel out. It's possible the axle broke but un-likely.

MTD Tiller Trans.JPG

5. terryzrx1200

Thanks for the tip. I took the right side wheel off and found that one of the two pawls was rusted and not disengaging from the drive sprocket. I lubed them up, it now works fine. Went to the sight that you got the drawing from. Great wealth of info. Thanks a lot. Terry

6. Restrorob

Hmmm ;)

How did you do that ???

That was my dealer's only (Log-in) site....

7. terryzrx1200

I did a search on MTD tillers. Went to there main sight and put in my tiller model number and drawings like the one you posted came up. So I asumed that was the same site you used. ( mtdproducts.com ) Great find. Thanks anyway. Terry