MTD Transmission

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gamekeeper, Mar 28, 2008.

1. gamekeeper

gamekeeper LawnSite Member

MTD are starting volume production of their Infinitrak TTT transmission. Does anyone know what models it is going to be sold in and when they will be available.

2. gamekeeper

Well another 2 months has passed and as far as we know these transmissions are being produced in volume. They must be going into something. It's funny that envy lawn systems said they didn't think they would be used in a zero turn lawnmower when that it exactly what MTD plan to do.

3. gamekeeper

You guys have dissapointed me. We now know some of these transmissions are out there and on sale. They are going to revolutionise the mower industry and you haven't seen or heard of them. They are out there, somewhere.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

According to Torotrak's CEO (the actual builder of the transmission) MTD only bought a few of the TTT trannies. Current plans are for MTD to use the lightweight trannies in Cub Cadet units in 2009. MTD is actually looking for Torotrak to build a cheaper version of the TTT tranny.

I wouldn't look for this transmission to get widespread acceptance in the US commercial mower market anytime soon.

5. farmboy1285

farmboy1285 LawnSite Senior Member

What is so special about it, does it make the mower levitate:laugh:
    IMO a transmission is a transmission the design of the mower has a bigger effect than transmission. Maybe I am just misunderstanding something.

6. Richard Martin

I'm not sure. We already have at least 3 manufacturers of infinately variable speed transmissions. MTD (Peerless) is one of them.

7. gamekeeper

The way I see it being revolutionary is that it will be more fuel efficient which has to be a good thing, but mainly it will give you a very smooth ride with accurate control of speed both forwards, backwards and most of all swapping between the two. It will drive along slopes in a straight line and it won't be as messy as hydraulic systems can be.

The cutter cuts the grass, chops it, blows it, collects it or whatever else you want to do with it. The ability to have zero turn in a simple to use format that doesn't scuff the grass and that gives you a very smooth ride has to be good. They few that have seen and tried it are very impressed.

8. gamekeeper

I notice you refer to it as being a lightweight tranny Richard. I would be interested to know where you got the idea it is lightweight from (presuming you are meaning low on power rather than just not being very heavy). The TTT is just one of a full range of IVT trasmissions developed by Torotrak, the largest of which operate on exactly the same principal and are capable of driving a tractor or Articulated Truck. The TTT itself was jointly developed by MTD so I am sure they sized it to be plenty big enough for their mowers. Just interested in where the comment came from.

9. Richard Martin

You answered your own question. The fact that MTD is involved assures that they're barely making it strong enough to move a riding mower. The fact that MTD requested a cheaper version for production models should tell you something about MTD.

10. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Ding, ding, we have a winner......:)