MTD Yardman Mowers?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by ebayollis, Apr 29, 2008.

1. ebayollis

ebayollis LawnSite Member

Anyone ever had any experience with these...I came across a good deal on one and was curious to their cutting/dependablity
  2. jsw2008

jsw2008 LawnSite Senior Member

Bottom line is they're junk. I don't know if you're talking about a walk behind or a rider. For your own yard they're ok. But if you use them more than once a week they start to fall apart very fast. I had an MTD high wheel push mower that I had for 2 years before I started my lawncare business. I was fine when I cut my yard with it. It still looked new. It lasted 8 months after I started the biz. The wheels literally fell off.
  3. ex lawncare retailer

ex lawncare retailer LawnSite Member

You get what you pay for in the L&G industry. Period.
  4. yardshark

yardshark LawnSite Member

I have a 42" Yardman Rider, I've been in the lawn care business for 2 years, I also have a 42" Cub Cadet and a 50" Cub Cadet. I have to say I've never had the first trouble out of mine. I drilled and tapped holes in the spindles and put grease fitting in and keep the oil and filters changed every 30 hours and it hangs right with the Cubs, it might fly apart tomorrow but so far its hanging in there.
  5. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Take it along with you this summer to use as an "anchor" during your house-boating trip on the "BIG" lake.
    And at the end of the 4-day weekend...just cut the line !! :rolleyes:
  6. capetan

capetan LawnSite Member

i actually have an yardman that bought about 8 years ago, as like a second push mower (basic push mower not self propelled) still works the engine is perfect everything else has fallen apart, but i have been through about 3 other push mowers, since then, they're cheap disposable mowers, but for $200 bucks who cares....... but the thing is you could spend more for a mower there and still only have it last 2 years, i wouldnt spend more than 200 or 300 for a mower at home depot