1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by olderthandirt, Mar 22, 2002.

1. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Any opions on MTD Pro series ZTR's. I heard they where the Lesco brand with the Mtd stickers. I can purchase a new 48 in. Z with 2 yr. warrenty for $3500. Is it worth it?
  2. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

Just my two cents but mtd is a large company that owns the likes of white,cub cadet and others. I think lesco has others make there stuff so if any thing mtd might make lesco.
  3. superfert

superfert LawnSite Member

Is the mower being sold by a dealer or previous purchase and never used. What model year? Engine type kohler or kaw?
  4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Its a new unit from the factory 2002 yr. 18 hp. Briggs, MMZ Jr. 48 in.
    List price $6299 dealer wants $5500 plus tax. It a great deal as far as tha $$$ but does anyone have any experience with the pro series.
  5. Grass_Slayer

Grass_Slayer LawnSite Member

i have a cub 3654 ztr which is the same as an mtd pro. i love it to death!! just be careful after u get it cause the deck will settle just a bit and it has to be adjusted. also mtd has gotten rid of the mtd pro line and moved everything to cub cadet. they are the same mower but some of the dealers wont cross parts like blades.
  6. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Not are particularly good deal. (You can get a Toro for the same money and it's a better machine with more resale value.)

MTD has struggled to make a really good commercial mower.

For the record, the MTD (Modern Tool & Die) is a HUGE manufacturer and the LESCO machine is a MTD painted green with Lesco stickers on it.
  7. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Made To Disintegrate
  8. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

Love my Cub ( The Tank M-60) Built very strong. Great looking cut.
  9. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

We have a MTD Pro Z 2554 and other than a few problems with breaking belts we've had nothing go wrong with it. The belts were a mistake on our part, 1/2" too short. It cuts nice, leaves decent stripes, lots of motor, and fits in well with our Walkers for the lawns we do. We use it on the soccer fields and it works good. We tried double blades but didn't feel it made much difference. We also use it for spraying.
  10. Harvestman

Harvestman LawnSite Member

I was at lesco the other day a watched a video of their plant in northern Ohio. They bought the plant from chrysler and only make their own mowers there. My lesco rep said they are not affiliated with mtd at all. As a mater of fact this up set him very much.