Much smaller gas tanks on 2011 mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jonathanone, Feb 23, 2011.

1. jonathanone

jonathanone LawnSite Member
    from Ct

Is it true that starting in 2011 mowers will be regulated with regard to evaporative emissions and that due to this tank capacity has been very significantly reduced?

2. MOHUSTLER

MOHUSTLER LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep THANK YOU EPA:hammerhead:

3. TheOctagon

TheOctagon LawnSite Senior Member

I knew about the emissions regulations but why will that result in small tanks?

4. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

That can't be true. Otherwise we will be driving cars with a 4 gallon tanks. Farm tractors with a 6 gallon diesel tank. Maybe with the price of gas skyrocketing we will only be able to put 4-5 gallons in them.

5. Burkhart Lawn Care

Burkhart Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I heard the same thing....CRAZY!!

6. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

:hammerhead:super bad is what it is. we have finally gotten to the point of having adequate fuel for the machine for an entire day figured out!:dizzy:

7. TheOctagon

TheOctagon LawnSite Senior Member

I still dont understand why emissions will yield smaller gas tanks? The scag cheetah holds 16 gallons of fuel and i believe they are all set up for the new emissions standards

8. Green Machine Mowing

Green Machine Mowing LawnSite Member

seems to me the more you have to fill the mower at the pump and especially with a can the more evap emissions you are going to have

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The problem is the plastic that they make the tanks out of isn't vapor tight. In other words, the gasoline evaporates right through the plastic. It's also a problem with the hoses and primer bulbs too. All of these must meet be certified for compliance before they can be used.

I don't know why it would require smaller tanks though. Portable fuel containers have the same requirements too.

10. dolt

dolt LawnSite Member

Just picked up a brand new 26efi Walker and the mechanic was going over it with me , he mentioned about how the fuel tank has changed to suit the new emission laws coming into effect . Alot of what he said went over my head ( first ztr ) but i think he said that the top of the tank on older walkers goes straight across ( allowing to fill right up , On mine the top of tank goes across , then cuts down , then across to fuel cap . So you can only fill to fuel cap which is on right hand side of tank , and on left hand side before it cuts down just has air in there i suppose , As i said alot of what he said went over my head so what this means or what it does i cant say .