Mud Flaps & too big of tires?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Critical Care, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got a problem. I have 12.5 inch wide tires on my Dodge, which has been lifted several inches, but because of the size of the tires I can't put mud flaps on the front. The tires rub against the flaps in sharp turns. I'd really like to do something because the tires throw a lot of stuff onto the side of the truck, and with wet pavement its like two roostertails shooting up from the sides. No, I'd rather not get rid of these tires. Ideas?
  2. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Depending on the color of your truck, one of the best looking options I've seen is to LineX the rockers. Of course that won't help with the rooster tails.

3. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

4. Critical Care

I was sorta thinking about the fender flares... Didn't know what they were called. My Dodge is a '98 and the Bushwacker site lists fender flares for 2003 and up. They also don't give you any idea as to how wide these things are. But... it's an idea. And Randy, I have large chrome rocker panels on my truck right now, and they're taking a beating. Line-X rockers, eh?
  5. Qdriver

Qdriver LawnSite Member

he11, why not Line-X the entire cab floor and half way up the inside of the doors!!!! Some LCO's do this on their trailers.

6. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

LineX obviously won't do anything about dirt & slush being thrown up against the side of your truck, but it will keep the paint from getting chipped down low. Most Dodge's I've seen with this, did it from the bottom body line - just below the moulding, down. On the right color, the black LineX looks really good.

7. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know what kind of flaps you have tried.

When I got my truck, It had flaps from a highway tractor cot in half. They were screwed to the inside of the wheel opening and hung straight down. It only reduced tire clearance by the thickness of the rubber (1/4).

hope that helps
  8. Critical Care

The mud flaps that I put on were probably the same thickness as yours, Edgewater, but the problem happens when turning. With the tires straight ahead it looks like I have plenty of room, but in a sharp turn the width of the tires make it a tight squeeze in there. I think the tires actually seemed to rub against the head of the mud flap bolts. Maybe I'll check again...

I think I'd rather go with the fender flare idea, but you guys got me curious about the Line-X. I'll be looking for trucks with it. Not a bad idea considering all of the derned crushed cinder rock that they throw down on our icy roads.