mud in tire treads

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rdh, Jun 8, 2001.

1. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

im sick of the tires on my mower (chariot)filling up with mud .
    its leaving the ugly tire tracks (not ruts)like long dirt stripes.
    also will leave mud junks on driveways and sidewalks that fall out of groves. this is the wettest its been here from all the rain we have had .
    how about the tires that are on choppers do they do this? (trax up the grass).

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

My first Chopper had the turf tires on it when I got it. The treads would fill up in muddy areas under over grown trees and slip very easy. The Boss 2 tires (DC Bar Tires) clean out very well. The only problem is you have to watch your turns big time when it is soft like it is here right now. They bite in too much and if you turn to short, you will tear up the turf like a roto tiller. When the ground is firm, they aren't nearly so bad, but you still need to watch your turns. Thin grass is the worst for using bar tires. I hope this helps.

3. rdh

eric about how much do they cost ?

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

The last ones I bought I paid $75 each for the rim and tire and they had the sealer in them from the factory. I'm not sure what just the tire would cost. They come in 22-11-8 and 25-12-9 in case you wanted to know.

5. rdh

my tires are 23x10.5x12.
    the 25x12x9 shure are big. i wonder how fast they would make my dane go.

6. WILSON BROS.

WILSON BROS. LawnSite Member

We have the same problems even with the bar tread tires. When it is this wet there seems to be no way around the mud tracks. If it keeps raining next week I'm putting pontoons on the mowers.:rolleyes:

7. rdh

wilson are you saying they carry the mud(fill up)or just trac it up in
    the wet spots?

8. WILSON BROS.

WILSON BROS. LawnSite Member

Both, the tractor (bar tread) type tire we run on the Grasshoppers tracks watery mud up on to the grass as well as picks up some of the stickier stuff. Around here we have several soil types and conditions. A black dirt with a high clay content doesn't drain well so it tracks it also gets very sticky. I don't believe there is a perfect set of tires for mowing in wet conditions. One that cleans well tears up the turf, if your not careful. However the turf type tire that we run on the Bobcats slides through the corners, and renders the machine nearly uncontrolable on slopes. I am eager to try a set of the tires Eric was refering to earlier in the thread. As many tires as I go through in a year it will probably be sooner than later.