Muffler Extensions?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Charles, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I bought a small 11 hp engine with the muffler pipe aimed upward. It has a big round fat muffler on top of it(3 pronged). Where might I get an extension to get this thing out of the way?

2. fly-4-fun

fly-4-fun LawnSite Member

If the muffler is a screw on type, you can get a pipe nipple and a couple of couplings and set it the height you want with the length of the pipe nipple.

3. Charles

Thanks fly-4-fun, I will check into it

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Keep in mind, The longer the pipe the more weight hanging on the aluminum threads and more vibration. So a support bracket my be needed to aid against the threads being beat or rounded out and cut down on vibration.

Seen it happen a few times....

5. Charles

I didn't think about the vibration. Where it connects to the motor there is 2 prongs where a nut screws onto the stem. Where the muffler connects there is three prongs where a nut is on them. These big round mufflers must be required to keep the noise level down but they get in the way of putting the bagger fly wheel/cover flush against the motor. This is my 3rd motor lol over many years and it wasn't designed for this leaf machine.

6. fastlane

fastlane LawnSite Senior Member

Keep in mind that changing the length of the exhaust could effect the performance of the motor.