Muffler issues!!! VANGARD

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bunton Guy, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Our 3 briggs vangard engines all go through mufflers in 2-3 years each. I wonder do they make aftermarket ones that maybe last longer? First the inner baffle core of the muffler breaks loose and starts to rattle. Then the mesh fronts of the muffler rust through letting the loose insides come out...which straight pipes the mufler!

2 Have the baffles that have fallen out and 1 has a cracked header that everytime we weld the header it breaks directly next to the new weld.

For taking off the exhaust headers to replace with new ones what is the best method? should I heat the bolts up before trying to break the nuts loose? 2 of these 18hp vangards are on Super Surfers.:cry:
  2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Nuts should come off easily, To make it a little easier fire it up and let it run for 15 or 20 seconds, just enough to get it hot but not so much you burn your hand off!

Sorry I don't know about yours, but I had Kohler 23hp motors that go through mufflers at least one a season. BAD at about $300 each!!! They have somthing like 8 different mufflers for the engine available from kohler depending on the application, the one needed to fit the Dixon units is the smallest. The baffles break loose and the welds for the brackets that hold the heat sheild onto it break off the muffler leaving nice HOLES in it! Pizz poor design and they never fixed it.

Almost impossible to weld mufflers, the metal is so brittle already and then welding on it makes it worse. Been there, tried that, lol. Brazing maybe?
  3. Bunton Guy

Atleast someone else feels my pain...:hammerhead:
  4. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Why are they rusting so fast? Do you leave your stuff out in the rain?
  5. Bunton Guy

Most of the mowers sit outside under the overhang of a small shop space. They don't get wet unless they are run in the rain or the rain comes in on a severe angle when parked under the overhang.