Muffler Rattle

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by RD NELSON, Oct 24, 2007.

1. RD NELSON

RD NELSON LawnSite Member

The shroud around the muffler on my fastrack 44 with kohler 18hp. is rattling like crazy on start up. After the unit gets hot it seems to settle down quite a bit. I had the shop check it last winter during my annual PM but they said everything we tight. This last weekend it seemed to be worse and I put pressure on the shroud and the rattling stopped. Is this normal or do you think I have a broken bracket? I did not see anything that looked cracked or broken??

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

No being able to see and feel it myself its hard to say whats normal or not.
    I would have the dealer look at it again, if there is a bracket broken or something not bolted on right it could vibrate excessively.

Pj

3. RD NELSON

RD NELSON LawnSite Member

Thanks PJ, It's going in for the annual PM very soon and I'll make sure they check it closely. I checked it again this week end and everything seemed to be tight, no broken parts, no missing bolts, just vibrates a lot and the shroud hits the muffler and makes the rattle.

4. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

you probably have a broken bracket that mounts the heat shield to the muffler. my MFT has the same problem.

PJ, is this covered under warranty?? (no issues with abuse)

5. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

That is something a dealer would have to look at and evaluate, with out seeing it in person I cant say, even then I don't work in service, they make those decisions.

Pj

6. DAR57

DAR57 LawnSite Member
    from NW Ohio

I have my second muffler on my FT and the new shroud came loose within about 4 weeks. PJ you might have the original supplier re-look at those. The shroud is just spot welded in a couple spots.