Muffler Removal Help

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mmathys, May 16, 2003.

1. mmathys

mmathys LawnSite Member

I have a Troybilt tiller with an 8hp Briggs engine. The muffler is rotted off so that all is left is a short piece of pipe. I am trying to unscrew the pipe so I can install a new muffler but can't get it to budge. I have tried using a big pipe wrench and I can get a good grip but I can make it budge. Any suggestions? I do have a torch and a rosebud tip but haven't tried it because I am not sure how to go about heating it.

Thanks in advance

Mark

2. June Bugs Mowing

June Bugs Mowing LawnSite Member

run the engine for ten minutes or so then shut it off and try to take it out. Also spray something like wd-40 on it but dont use wd-40 because its flamable.Hope this helps.let us know if it does

3. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

Try getting it hot and then put bees wax on it and let cool. It will probably come out. Good Luck

4. mckell68

mckell68 LawnSite Member

soak that thing with PB-BLASTER. Available at wal-mart or auto parts stores. It really works well much better than anything else like wd-40 or liquid wrench---Mike

5. mmathys

mmathys LawnSite Member

I got it out, here is what I did.

1) Tried everything above except bees wax (couldn't find any)

2) Removed carb so I could get a good shot with pipe wrench.

3) Popped pipe wrench a good one with dead blow mallet, when sheared off remaining pipe.

4) Cut through the piece of pipe left in block lengthwise with bearing cutting chisel. Folded piece inward and then removed with needle-nose pliers.

Piece of cake. When the pipe sheared off flush with the block I thought "hey that looks like a hydraulic pump bushing" of which I have removed several hundred using my trusty bearing splitter chisel.

Thanks for your input.

Mark