mulch and planting job

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Oscapes, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Oscapes

Oscapes LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

I have a customer that just moved into a new home. All it has is a small mulch bed in the front that is completely flat and a few bushes.

They want to me to design a mulch bed, build it up, so it's looks more mound like and plant some bushes, flowers, etc. as well as install mulch and edge.

What do you all recommend to build up the mulch beds/flower beds? Should I use topsoil or something else. And should I prepare the soil with something before I plant anything. If so, what should I prepare the soil with?

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Yes you got it.... build it up with a mix of the native soil,top soil and soil amendment well mixed in and incorperated into the soil below.The soil below will fluff right up,walk on it lightly to get out air pockets and firm it
    up a bit and plant,you may need to hold the edge with large rocks or a border of some kind.Remember to rake out the top of your mound flatter and slope the sides so no sharp drop off.but so it will drain water off.If you cant get ahold of a tiller then double dig it.do a search on double digging and it's worth it to do.

3. Oscapes

Oscapes LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

thanks brotha.

where can i find soil amendment or what is it?

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I'm a sista and you can buy it at any nursery or home outlet
    store,Amend,Gromulch,Organicbloom Compost,or planting mix ectectect.