Mulch Area

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by pilotcoplawnboy, Mar 9, 2002.

1. pilotcoplawnboy

pilotcoplawnboy LawnSite Member

Can anyone give me an idea of how much to charge for making a 200 sqft area into a mulch area? It is in the corner of a fenced off area and I plan to use 2by4's to make to other part of the square. It will be the area where a childrens swingset will be.

Fence[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[
    [ \
    [ "MULCH AREA" \ 2 BY 4'S
    [ "SWINGSET" \
    [ \
    [ \
    [ \
    [ \
    [ \
    [ \
    [ \
    [\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
    [ 2 BY 4'S
    [

2. pilotcoplawnboy

JUST TO LET EVERYONE KNOW, IT DIDN'T TURN OUT THE WAY I PLANNED IT TO.

3. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Are you tring to make a safety surface for the swing set?
    Can you lose the extra dirt on site or are you going to have to haul it off?
    Are you going to do it by hand or do you have equipment to excavate it?

4. pilotcoplawnboy

Paul what I plan on doing is just squaring off an area with the corner of the fence with 2 by 4's and then putting down landscape frabric, then putting in mulch. I wasn't planing on digging anything up. It is already nothing but dirt there. I am getting ready to plant grass for them and I told them it wouold be wise to just move the swingset into the corner of the yard and have mulhc under it to prevent the kids from tracking in dirt. They asked how much it would cost and i really have no idea.

5. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

First off unless your looking to open yourself up to a law suit don't put the 2x4 around the swing set. The first kid that takes a header on to the wood will cost you big time. there are distances that have to be maintained for safety. Better yet just dig out 12" of dirt and put in a safety surface (special wood chips) or a rubber mulch.

6. carolinamulchplus

carolinamulchplus LawnSite Member
    from WNC

Feel free to use the online calculator on our website to help figure what your mulch requirements are. First, figure out how deep you need to mulch at www.carolinamulchplus.com/playground.html and then switch to www.carolinamulchplus.com/howmuch.html and enter the dimensions. The post which said you need a special mulch is correct. Playground mulches should be splinter free and non-staining. Certified materials are available as well which have been tested for impact attentuation. Be careful that the site is prepared so that it drains well. Good luck!