1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

mulch around tress

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by dougmartin2003, Jun 5, 2007.

1. dougmartin2003

dougmartin2003 LawnSite Senior Member

i have 2 tress that i want to dress up in my backyard with a raised mulch bed, i have heard conflicting opinons about putting mulch around trees, but i see it done all the time, is it ok to mulch around trees that are around 30 years old or older,i want to build up a bed around the tree made of stone about 12-24 inches heigh then fill with topsoil and then about 4 inches of cedar mulch on top of that

2. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak LawnSite Senior Member

You need to leave the root crown exposed. Make a secon ring around each tree, or taper the soil & mulch down to existing level. Otherwist the bark may rot, insects may get it, etc., & cause problems.

3. dougmartin2003

thanks for the quick response, i keep seeing alot of trees with mulch all the way around them and wondered if that was right

4. VO Landscape Design

VO Landscape Design LawnSite Senior Member

What "he" said. A lot of people fill in around the tree too deep then the trees suffers. There are a lot of feeder roots in the first foot or so of soil that feed the tree. They will be suffocated if covered over. Taper your soil/mulch and you should be fine. A small layer of mulch 2-3" should be ok around the tree.
    VO

5. dougmartin2003

is there anything else i could use besides mulch, like a decorative stones that can be but up the tree, sorry for so many ?s, but its best to ask know then to make a mistake,,, thanks guys

6. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

You could stack an inner circle of stone around the tree but there is no way to build up around a tree trunk - if you add more than one inch per year it will not survive and it sounds like a pretty big tree .

7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

You can do this but do not fill with topsoil. You certainly can use mulch because it allows air into the soil but to add soil over any old tree's root area is talking a good chance on killing it.

8. dougmartin2003

so sheshovel would it be ok for just adding mulch around the tree in a raised bed about 18 inches tall. this tree is about 50-60 ft tall and is the perfect shade tree and i dont want to hurt it

9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I advise against it, 3" of 4" would be the thickest I would go.

10. dougmartin2003

cool beans, thank everyone for the advice