Mulch/bag/side discharge

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Joel B., Jun 23, 2002.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

I will be using my JD LX 176 lawn tractor to start out (I know, I know it's not the best choice for mowing) and would like to mulch. However, to change from mulch to bag/discharge I have to remove the deck, change the blades and remove the blocking plate. What a pain. It would be easier to just side discharge but could end up not looking as nice with all the grass laying on the lawn. How do all of you change from mulch to discharge to bag? Anyone else using a tractor?

Much appreciated,

Joel B.

2. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I usually discharge like 60% of the time but if i want to mulch, I just put my homemade plate over the chute and it works great like during the fall seson witht the leaves. I use gators to mulch and discharge. I only use my bag on one of my properties cause it sucks so.... The Walker line mowers are excellent. They discharge, mulch, and bad witht the same deck.

3. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

Mulching, in theory, is the best approach. But... you need to go slow and cut off no more than 1/3 of the blade OR... it looks like ****-right?

If you do it that way, you lose money. Side discharge is the preferred method. If you have a discharge chute, it will leave the clippings in neat corn rows. Not the effect you want. Remove the chute and it will help disperse the clippings. Many of us double cut in 2 different directions when clippings are excessive.

My best advice is to unload that trctor and get a commercial walk behind. You will be able to manuever much faster and give that striping effect owned by professionals.

Good luck.