Mulch bed weed preventer?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Grant1994, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Grant1994

Grant1994 LawnSite Member
    from MA

What do you guys use along with your mulch to help prevent weeds I know there is Preen but I was wondering if there is anything that you guys use that works a little better? Thanks for the help!

2. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

There's a myriad of fabrics you can purchase to lay down. I, personally, think they're fairly useless.

3. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Agreed. Preen, also is semi-useless.

Try snapshot?

4. Grant1994

from MA

The beds I'm currently redoing had landscape fabric from home depot in them, that stuff was the biggest pain to remove it would rip as soon as you tried to pull any of it up and the weeds were going right through it!

I just looked up snapshot and that looks much more promising than Preen it also claims to last 6-8 months as apposed to preens 3. Thanks for the recommendation RedSox!

5. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

No problem. Just a caution though, don't expect miracles....you'll still get weed breakthrough, especially initially. I've found that good results are seen after using the product for consecutive seasons.

6. Grant1994

from MA

I don't mind if I have to do some hand weeding just looking for a little chemical aid to save me from hours of hand weeding :laugh:

7. professional

professional LawnSite Member

I use freehand. It is more tolerant of rain conditions (snapshot has to have rain in a much shorter time frame) and exposure to sun (snapshot has to be under the mulch). The cost is also less.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Grant11

Grant11 LawnSite Senior Member

I've heard only good things about snapshot. The heads groundskeeper at my school uses it and swears by it.

9. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

I usually spray the beds with round up and then apply preen as well before laying the mulch down
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Snapshot works like a dream! BUT dont forget you have to be licensed to apply it.