1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Mulch Before Heavy Rain

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by CJMLS, May 22, 2007.

1. CJMLS

CJMLS LawnSite Member

I figured I'd share this one. I never experienced this before. Luckily is was my house and not a cleint. I finished up the days work early and had 2 employees with me and figured I'd have them mulch my property since I already had 6 yards dumped in my driveway. As we were cleaning it it began to rain. That night we had one of the heaviest rains we had in a long time. To make a long story short, when the rain passed and the mulch dryed, most of the black dye washed off. The nursery claimed it is because the mulch had no time to cure.

Anyone ever experience this?

2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I'd try to get them to replace it.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

4. Pastaboy62

Pastaboy62 LawnSite Senior Member

the place where I get my mulch says if you are buying dyed mulch and it is going to rain within 24 hours that it will run and not to put it down.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

are they spraying it the same time they are loading it? :laugh:

6. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

I have heard that it takes time for the dye to cure. it makes sense, since it is sprayed in, it needs time to set. The inside of the mulch pile is hot and moist, therefore it takes longer to cure.

7. packer101

packer101 LawnSite Member

do they keep there mulch indoors? i dont know of many nuserys that would sell much that looses it color that fast. the black we sell is natural so the color wont wash off, and the dyed we do have slighty looses some dye but you can still tell its red. id say its probably low quality.

8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with rodfather on this, it never really "cures" or sets. The color will wash off eventually no matter what. 6 yards is a whole lot of dye and you had heavy rain, and you just noticed it more because it was in your driveway in a big pile and not installed 3"thick over soil.