Mulch Bin

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by double e, Feb 4, 2001.

1. double e

double e LawnSite Member

I'm thinking of building a mulch bin, before the season starts. Does anyone else have one? How big did you make it? Any tips?

Should I put a concrete pad down. I have a Kubota with a front end loader, It will probably take more time to load, but can do early in the morn., before help arrives.

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

If its in the budget, I would DEFINITELY pour the pad. As for the construction of them I would say that you would probably want to have aprox. 6-8 foot high walls.

Just my .02
    Kris

3. I agree if you can put it in the budget go for a concrete pad. It will keep mud and dirt out of your mulch, be there done that. Besides after a while without the concrete pad you will have a mud hole with mulch mixed in. My sister who is in the Greenhouse busisnes has a bin that is on a concrete pad with wooden 2x6 sides up to about 4 ft high, she can stack about 150 yds of mulch in it.

4. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

double e save yourself some money and still have a good bin. Buy an old flat rack from a tractor trailer or better yet a container trailer. You will have a good solid floor and good sides on it. Less mess and less expense. There are lots of reasonable priced trailers that aren't road legal anymore.