mulch blade differences

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KBW, May 7, 2004.

1. KBW

KBW LawnSite Member

Factory mulch blades for my Gravely 48" wb are bi-level and do a good job. I don't know if 'bi-level' is the correct tern, however, it is not just one straight blade. I thought all mulch blades were bi-level. I ordered gator mulch blades from Jthomas since I've heard good things about the gators and they were aprox. $10 compared to $20 something for the Gravely mulch blades. I didn't realize the gators were a single straight blade. It seems my Gravely bi-level mulchers do a better job. I'm getting some windrowing and some stragglers with the gators. Can you get gators with a bi-level blade? What are your opinions on straight single mulch blades verse bi-level? Where can I get the bi-level mulch blades 16.25" long, 2.5"wide, with a 5/8th hole? Has anyone else had problems with Gators verse OEM blades?

Thanks

Kevin

2. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

try talking to the folks at Stens Corporation
    they produce Raptors which are bi level.

3. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I found that the factory original mulch blades work better than the Gator type. The gators are a gimic. They dont really cut the grass up any finer . The notches on the lift part dont recut the clippings like they claim. IMO.

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I think maybe the bi-level mulchers he has from Gravely are Raptors. Scag uses them too and calls them 'eliminator blades' I think.

KBW, do the Gravely mulchers also have teeth on the lift wing? Just not quite like the Gators?

As far as the Gators go, it has been my experience that they suck as a grass mulching blade on most decks. I love them on one mower and hate'm on the other. The teeth do not really chop the clippings much. They just re-direct the clipping flow under the deck. About the only thing the teeth chop is leaves.

5. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

The only good success I've had with gators is when I use them as doubles. I like to put the gator ultra high lifts on top of another set of standard blades. Even then, I too get windrows and stragglers. The only thing they help with is keeping the grass from building up under the deck. I would also have to agree with specialtylc about the notches failing to mulch the clippings finer. I would like to find some of the "split blades" to fit my mower since the extra weight of doubles puts a heavy load on the motor.

6. KBW

KBW LawnSite Member

My Gravely blades do have teeth (wings). Maybe they Raptors.
    I'll check it out.

Thanks for your help everyone.

KBW