1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mulch blades all the time

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JonLawn, Mar 4, 2014.

1. JonLawn

JonLawn LawnSite Member

I don't have a bag on my main mower and am considering using mulching blades year-round. Will this help? Do others have success with this?

Do you order direct from gator blades or is there another, better supplier?
  2. blythefieldacreslawncare

blythefieldacreslawncare LawnSite Member

You will get alot more clumping. I only use mulching blades for leaves.
  3. WenzelOSLLC

WenzelOSLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Different blades for different situations.
  4. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

I run mulching blades on centipede and St Augustine lawns year round with no issues.
  5. ohbuckhunter

ohbuckhunter LawnSite Member

I use gator blades on everything I have that takes them and I never have clumps. But I double cut everything.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. 360lawncare

360lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Just put a set of g5 Gator blades on mine and hope they work as good as you hear everyone say they do. From what I hear about the g5 blades most leave them on all year round.
  7. show-n-go

show-n-go LawnSite Member

I leave mine on all the time. Never really had any issues as long as i don't let the grass get to long, then a double cut is required.
  8. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

I tried the g6 blades from Oregon on one of my turf tracers, on my lawn, which is lush fescue.

promptly took them off and returned to factory hi-lift.
  9. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Much of it has to do with the design of the deck, more than the blades themselves. My MOD deck is a LOT more picky about what works than the std 7 Iron Pro deck I had before it. This MOD deck works fine with G6's year round, but there's way too much blowout from them compared to either OEM high lifts or OEM wavy mulchers due to the shape and location of the lift fins/teeth. The G6's were awesome under the std deck though, and left on all the time.
  10. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

I run them most of the time. Last year I had a few g6 sets and 1 high lift set I rotated and so I didn't have to sharpen every week.

I ordered a set of the mamba mulchers(looks just like g6). Gonna give them a try
    Posted via Mobile Device