1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Mulch blades all the time

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JonLawn, Mar 4, 2014.

1. micamik

micamik LawnSite Member

I had an Encore that I swear cut better year round with Gators. My current Scag cuts better with Oregon high lifts. I get a lot of clumps with the Gators on the Scag. I guess it depends on the mower.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. JonLawn

JonLawn LawnSite Member

Makes sense that it differs for different decks. I have a 36" Gravely walk behind, side discharge. Any ideas?

3. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I'd give the G5's a try.

4. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Read the day's/week's avg conditions -> and match your blades to those conditions. Granted you'll have to know each blade-style's strengths & weaknesses w/ a given mower, but it's all about results. And results can change given the time of year, amount of rain/dew and amount of growth to name just some of the variables/factors.

Best all-around blade IMO is an Oregon single notch. They create decent lift and shred the discharge better than a high lift. But this is for my mower/deck and for nearly 100% side-discharging of our regional grasses.

5. arkansas502

arkansas502 LawnSite Member

All of my mowers have mulch kits on them except 1. I mulch 99% of the time from spring to fall. My toros have never had a problem mulching damp grass. The only time I dont mulch is on a clean up job where the grass is 6 inches tall. I mow that once side discharge and then mulch the second and third pass till I get the length and look that I want.

6. RSNovi

RSNovi LawnSite Member
    from MI

The exact same with me.
    Posted via Mobile Device