Mulch blades all the time

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JonLawn, Mar 4, 2014.

1. micamik

micamik LawnSite Member

I had an Encore that I swear cut better year round with Gators. My current Scag cuts better with Oregon high lifts. I get a lot of clumps with the Gators on the Scag. I guess it depends on the mower.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. JonLawn

JonLawn LawnSite Member

Makes sense that it differs for different decks. I have a 36" Gravely walk behind, side discharge. Any ideas?

3. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I'd give the G5's a try.

4. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Read the day's/week's avg conditions -> and match your blades to those conditions. Granted you'll have to know each blade-style's strengths & weaknesses w/ a given mower, but it's all about results. And results can change given the time of year, amount of rain/dew and amount of growth to name just some of the variables/factors.

Best all-around blade IMO is an Oregon single notch. They create decent lift and shred the discharge better than a high lift. But this is for my mower/deck and for nearly 100% side-discharging of our regional grasses.

5. arkansas502

arkansas502 LawnSite Member

All of my mowers have mulch kits on them except 1. I mulch 99% of the time from spring to fall. My toros have never had a problem mulching damp grass. The only time I dont mulch is on a clean up job where the grass is 6 inches tall. I mow that once side discharge and then mulch the second and third pass till I get the length and look that I want.

6. RSNovi

RSNovi LawnSite Member
    from MI

The exact same with me.
    Posted via Mobile Device