1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mulch Blades or High Lift??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cadzilla500, Apr 14, 2007.

1. cadzilla500

cadzilla500 LawnSite Member

I've got a Quick 36 with the mulch adapter plate. I'm running gator blades on it, and was thinking of trying the standard blades this week. I know it is common practice to run gators when you mulch, but has anyone used standard blades while mulching grass. I figures we'd try it on a couple yards, and hopefully have less build up under the deck.
  2. shade tree landscaping

shade tree landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I also am using a Quick36 with the mulch plate and gator blades. Do you have grass blow out from the bottom and clump on the grass?
  3. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I don't know about the Quick machines, but I mulch with several others and I hardly ever use gators with a mulch kit on. It will chop the grass up so fine if there is any moisture it will stick to the deck more, if it is real dry it sometimes blows out more depending on the setup. I use gators when side discharging sometimes with doubles gator and medium lifts . I'm sure someone with a quick 36 or 44 will chime in what works best to mulch with.
  4. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

I've been using both:

Bottom blade is a regular blade with the regular fan blade.

Next blade, placed perpendicular and on top of the regular blade is a gator blade.

This give you the mulching advantage, with no loss in vaccuum. It also give you a cleaner cut. You can also fit more into your grass catcher.

Spraying fluidfilm on your blade housing will keep grass from sticking.
  5. cadzilla500

cadzilla500 LawnSite Member

6. Rescue Lawn

Rescue Lawn LawnSite Member
    from DFW, TX

MArk, so you are using both blades on the mower at the same time and on each spindle?