Mulch blades or Standared blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DJ Contracting, Aug 19, 2006.

1. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting LawnSite Senior Member

OK I just bought a grass catcher and thought I would post this question? I have the standard blades on, and they seem to cut the grass into fine little pieces, however I was wondering if by putting on my mulch blades that came with the mulch kit, would this cut the grass up even smaller?

2. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Yes it does squeeze some more room out of the bagger with mulch blades, but by far the best method is running the grass over 1 or 2 times previous to bagging. By then the leaves/grass is like confetti and packs the bagger.

3. DJ Contracting

Ok there's one so far anybody else?

4. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

Idealtim. Wouldn't that take to much time and gas money?

5. DJ Contracting

Well I just had time to put the mulching blades on the 36" w/b w/o the baffles I plan to side discharge and bag when I need to. I haven't had the chance to cut with it yet seeing how I just got in @ 8:30 PM so I'll just have to wait till I get a chance to cut with it. So should I look for smaller clippings and will the blades throw the grass out more.

6. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

Why not put the mulch kit on and not bag anything? As long as you are not cutting off more than 1/3 of the grass blade the mulch kit should do fine on one pass. I have cut off 6" of grass before- had to double cut- but was still faster than bagging.

7. DJ Contracting

Tadams I'm getting ready for fall up here, so one of my mowers will mulch the leaves and the other will pick up.

8. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a mulch kit on my WB now and the bagger can be put on in 2 minutes on the lazer. When the leaves start to fall I will put a mulch kit on the lazer until they are falling too fast to mulch up and then the Ultra Vac will go on and stay on until Spring. We've got at least 2 more months to cut- if we can get any rain.