Mulch Blades w/o mulch kit

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fishin LCO, May 21, 2004.

1. Fishin LCO

Fishin LCO LawnSite Member
    from NC

Just wondering what the results may be if I but mulching blades on my toro 44 sfs with out a mulch kit. Has anybody done this and is this better than running standard blades? Will it mulch any? Thanks for any help.

2. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

I tried it and was not happy with results at all! They did not mulch without the mulch kit either.

3. LHLawns

LHLawns LawnSite Member

Yes,
    I always run Toro Atomic mulching blades on my 62 SFS and 44. The results are much better than standard high lifts. I have tried it both ways and definitely like the Atomic's much better. The blades mulch sufficiently enough not to discharge 3 or 4 inch clippings. They also chew up leaves.

4. lawnmedic1

lawnmedic1 LawnSite Member

Several of my cohorts(competitors) run Gator mulching blades on their Toro 44s. They have no problems with them, but you can't use mulching plates around here right now. Still getting 4-6" of growth per week....Chuck

5. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

you can on an exmark but it really slings it waaaay out the side.

6. MOlawnman

MOlawnman LawnSite Member

Was running Gator blades on my Exmark and found that the cut was not near as good as with regular hi-lift blades. Changed to hi-lifts and the cut improved greatly. Would not run any type of mulching blade this time of year, at least not in my area.

7. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 60'' Turbo force deck mower (Toro)

I run both Recycle and Atomics under it when side discharging.

Thicker, heavier, longer grasses the recycle blades are best, and finer grasses e.g bermuda the atomics are great.

I use mulch blades while side discharging with this deck because I don't usually want material sprayed 12+ feet, mulch blades increase the air to clippings ratio which suits me.

With this deck and the adjustable flow baffle I can easily achieve discharging shorter than normal clippings, close the baffle and run atomics and you have close to mulch, double cut if you need and 100% mulch.

I only use standard high lifts on acreage jobs or where I can spray with no cars etc, and where very small clippings aren't needed, but even closing the baffle with highlifts can give semi mulch.