mulch blades without the baffle

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lech615, May 8, 2002.

1. Lech615

Lech615 LawnSite Member

I have a 36" exmark. Can I run mulching blades and still use the bagger? I have several customers that want their grass bagged even after I explained the benefit of mulching. Any help is appreciated? I am hoping to be able to lessen the amount of clippings but still appear to be bagging.

Also, Are Meg-Mo blades any good for an exmark?

2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I have done this with my turf tracer hp. It works ok, but there is no lift with the mulching blades that come with the mulch kit. If the grass is wet, it turns everything to mush, and thats a mess. The grass buildup under the deck is a lot more than with regular blades. The main problem is the lift, there is not a lot and could make it hard to get the grass into the bagger if it is wet and heavy.

I did use the exmark mulching blades on the lazer with ultra vac too, an it was not enough lift to get all the leaves, so I went with solid foil blades. They worked great .

3. TOSLC

TOSLC LawnSite Member

If your eXmark is new enough to have the mulch kit under it (with the baffles that make each blade cut individually) I would think that you wouldn't get anything in the bag. The last baffle on the right completly surrounds the blade. The cover plate is just for strength and looks.

I say give it a try, the worst that could happen is you would have to rake, or re-mow the property.

4. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

You will have to remove the baffels under the mower which take about 10 mins to do. you can run mulch blades without baffels bagging and it helps when bagging to cut the clippings up finer. I personally would not attach the bag or attach it and not remove the baffles so no clippings enter the bag and dare to the customer to tell a differance. I have NO problem with mulching berm grass and leaving NO clippings on top, thus the bagged look without the bag. Exmark has a great mulching deck on the new mowers. Talk the customer into allowing you to mulch the yard two times and see if they can tell a differance. They won't be able to.

Scot