Mulch Blower Service

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jkelton, Nov 8, 2001.

1. jkelton

jkelton LawnSite Member

Any of you guys used a mulch blowing service? If so, how much did you have to pay per yard? Was there a minimum? It seems like this would be the way to go - Just wondering if anyone else out there has had any experience with this in your area.

Pros/Cons?

2. I'm looking into buying one.

Finn 302

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

around here there is a $175 min. Its 35 per yard.

4. jkelton

jkelton LawnSite Member

65hoss (or anyone else),
    Have you used this service before? If so, what particular reason did you use them (labor savings, headache savings, blown-in finish, etc.). Would you personally use this service for any job over the $175 minimum? What company in the Memphis area currently provides this service? Thanks.

5. DanG

DanG LawnSite Member

There's a couple of guys around here who have them...
    I know the one guy bought his this year for adding onto his spraying business and charges i think $40-45 depending on the type of mulch.
    I believe his truck will also do top soil and seed at the same time to.
    He paid alot of money for it and drove all the way out to Oregon to pick it up.He's got the biggest truck(tri-axle) around here(Albany area).
    All the other guys have ones on trailers or small ones on trucks.
    I believe his holds something like 30-40 yards of mulch.

Dan G.

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

MulchWorks is the name here in Memphis. I haven't used them, but I will if I ever need anything that big.

7. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

DAN G
    Is that a rexius truck that he purchased??? I have always wanted to see one of those bad boys in action -argh! argh! argh!

Kris

8. MTCDAVE33

MTCDAVE33 LawnSite Member

KUTNKRU
    THE BLOWER TRUCK IN ALBANY NY IS A 60 YARD EXPRESS BLOWER. I HAVE WORKED W/ IT. YOU CAN'T BEAT THEM!

9. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

MTC thanks for the reply.

Welcome to Lawnsite and all that other happy horse -LOL!!! I would recommend turning off your caps key when posting because it makes things very hard to read, some will skip right by, and I guess the ettiquette thing says it resembles shouting.

What are the advantages of the Express blower over a Rexius or are they the same deal just diff manufacturers???

Thanks again,
    Kris

10. jkelton

jkelton LawnSite Member

The Rexius unit is the same as the Express Blower. I went out a few weeks ago to their (Rexius) Oregon facility to check it out - very nice. We will be getting our unit in December. My feeling is that this method is the way to go for someone who has the need for >7 yards mulch at one time. More of your laborer's time can be spent doing jobs and tasks that provide a higher profit margin (in addition to reducing the aggravation factor). You also do not have to be concerned with the lawn damaging affects of moving mulch around in a wheelbarrow or Bobcat - the blower has the capability of pushing the mulch through 800 feet of hose - a signifigant advantage when trying to get to hard-to-reach places.