mulch blowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheLawnRanger, Feb 9, 2000.

1. TheLawnRanger

TheLawnRanger LawnSite Member

Has anyone had any experience with a mulch blowing system?Is it worth the$$$$. The ads look very believeable. I have not seen any of this type equipment used in my area.Most companys use lots of labor to spread mulch.Any replys would be appreciated.

2. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Sure. There are TONS of companies in Oregon who use the big trucks and blow mulch (we actually use Fir Barkdust most of the time in Oregon). I don't know much about the trucks but I do know they are WAY too expensive for me. I asked the local barkdust yard down the street why she didn't have one and she told me that those trucks cost $500,000 or so a piece and that's why. <p>The way I see it, I can't see how it would be affordable for residentail or small commercial application. Even if the truck only cost me $50,000, I stilll could never warrant the expence. It takes 2 guys about 2 hours to spread a unit of barkdust around here. The guys in the blowing trucks can spread a unit and clean up in 30 minutes. So yah, they save a few man hours, but they paid a ton of money to do it. We still just do it by hand. <p>One thing that's interesting to note is that the big companies who have these blowers (barkblowers we call them here) can deliver and spread a unit for $189. I can't even touch a unit for $250. So they outbid us once in a while. But so far, it hasn't really hurt us for a few reasons. 1) Most people don't know that Barkblowers can do it that cheap. They don't advertise much. In fact, most people ASSUME it's MORE to blow it. and 2) most of the people we do bark (mulch) for are already existing customers and aren't shopping around. They just it done and $250/unit is a pretty decent price for most of them. <p>I don't know if I answered your question or not, but yah, there are a lot of companies in our neck of the woods who blow bark, mulch, blended soil, etc. <p>----------<br>Jim Lewis - Lewis Landscape Services<br>http://www.lewislandscape.com

3. What is a unit? Can you convert that into cubic yards?

4. TheLawnRanger

TheLawnRanger LawnSite Member

I live in North Carolina and I haven't had any experience with the 'Blowers'.I was just trying to find out information.It seems to me that if you pushed the mulch business you might could warrent the equipment.Is there any other replies?