mulch by the bag - install price

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Smitty58, Feb 28, 2004.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

I plan on pushing mulch this year and have a price to install for bulk. However I had a customer tell me they do not want bulk because of the dirt that is with it. They want only bagged mulch. So how do you price it? Do you use your same install price? Or would you charge more for the inconvenience of dealing with all thise bags ,or less because of the convenience of using bags? I guess some like bags and some don't. Would like to hear opinions and pricing ideas.

2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

When I use bags, I double the price of the bags. I usually get 2-3cu. ft bags, for about $2.00, and I charge $4.00 per bag. Probably could charge a bit more, but this works fine for me.

3. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

$2.50 per bag x 3 = $7.50 per bag

50 bags x $7.50 = $375 to install

4. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

any thing under 10 yds I charge 70 per yd. Over 10 yds I just set up a job at 45 per yd having it blown in. costs me 35 to blow in. I always use 3cu ft bags Its a lot faster than bulk it costs a little more but 9 bags per yd with no shoveling get 5 yds to a pallet

5. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

The best price I can find on 2 cu ft bags is $2.79 and 3 cu ft is $4.49. So would you quote a price based on using a 2 or a 3 cu ft bag? If you price the 2 ft bag at 3 x's the cost (2.79*3=$8.37) would that be an easier sell than basing it on 3 cu ft bags (4.49*3=$13.47). I'm thinking if you quote the lower price even though it will take more bags it would be an easier sell. What do you think?

6. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I think I would find a lower price im getting 3cf bags for 2.49

7. codywyomingus

codywyomingus LawnSite Member

add $2 to each 3 cubic ft bag

8. hartlawnmain

hartlawnmain LawnSite Member

Always try to at least double your price on materials. Pine needles, pay $3.00 charge $6.00 l&m. Annuals, I usually triple the cost of flat because of soil, fertilizer. I pay $8.50 and charge $27.50/flat. Also, on the mulch, factor in how far you have to haul it to get to the dump site. Time=money.

9. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

publix here in fl has cypress mulch 3/$4.99 rite now

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

finally someone else that agrees with me in regards to bulk or bagged mulch. I can not stand bulk mulch. So much dirt, clay, etc. in it. Plus the bags are easier to move around and seem to have a better color. Yes they are more expensive, but I will go with quality first