Mulch by the hour?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mo-fleet, Feb 23, 2005.

1. mo-fleet

mo-fleet LawnSite Member
    from PA

I've been using the search, but haven't found what I need.

I charge $35 per hr to lay mulch. I get the mulch for $25 a yard. That's $60 a yard, and depending how much I got to crawl through, it might take more than an hour to put a yard down. Is this about right? Got any suggestions? I'm in south eastern PA btw.

2. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

send me a full financial disclosure of your business...........your overhead.....maybe some profit and loss statments, balance sheets, and tax returns........then i may be able to help you out with what you need to charge.... :cool2:

3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

LMAO....one of the best responses to a price question yet...so true, so very true. :rolleyes:

4. mo-fleet

mo-fleet LawnSite Member
    from PA

Yeh,........funny. I see this answer on a lot of threads. Nice way to get more posts.

Seriously, noone mulches? Or do you do it for free?

5. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

I mulch.........Do you need to support as much equipment, real estate, insurance, fuel , work comp, trucks, maintenance, full time mechanic, sales people, office help, phones, etc etc etc. as i do?........Or do you think maybe you can do a job and charge less than me and put more money in your pocket?...........

Using the following price solely for an example to make a point.....

You can do a job for $50 and put more money in your pocket than i could if i was charging $100......... So how would my price for the job help you???

$50 would be less than my cost to do that job so if i made a post asking what to charge and i listened to you saying $50......i would be out of business real fast..........

THE QUESTION YOU PEOPLE SHOULD BE ASKING IS " HOW DO I DETERMINE MY OPERATING COSTS AND DESIRED PROFIT AND TRANSLATE THAT INTO A CORRECT PRICE FOR MY BUSINESS. "

Sorry for sounding sarcastic and i know im making that post on a lot of threads but the question of what to charge comes up at least once a day and there is no way for anybody without more information about your business to answer that.........

THE " WHAT TO CHARGE" POST IS A QUESTION YOU PEOPLE SHOULD BE TALKING OVER WITH YOUR ACCOUNTANTS......... :cool2:

6. mo-fleet

mo-fleet LawnSite Member
    from PA

Geeeez! Did I hit a nerve? I'm sorry I upset you Procut1.

I use an old truck and 6X12 trailer to haul mulch. I don't have a lot of overhead for this. Also I don't care to do it, but the mowing customers demand it. So it's either do it or else. I just wanted to know if it's worth my trouble to keep people happy at this price. I know there are more factors to consider too because of distance to supplier, and how close to the beds you can get, etc. I guess I go back to the search and do some figuring. Thanks anyhow.

7. Dig-it Landscaping

Dig-it Landscaping LawnSite Member

it would probably be easier to charge by the yard rather than by the hour. i charge 70$ a yard and i get the mulch for 23.45$/yard with free delivery. but i put down alot more than 1 yard per hour. hope this helps

8. mo-fleet

mo-fleet LawnSite Member
    from PA

Thank you.

You said you do more than 1 yard/hr..........how do you do this? Blower? Or shovel/WB. Is it just yourself installing or do you have help?

Thanks again!

9. Dig-it Landscaping

Dig-it Landscaping LawnSite Member

i can do more than one an hour my self. of course it depends on the terrain. i havent done it by myself in about 2 years. me and an employee could edge (by hand), weed, and mulch 25 yards in 6-7 hours. just work hard i guess. yes using wheelbarrow and pitchfork.

10. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

That was funny, the first time I read it. :waving: