Mulch causing ants?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by procut, Aug 5, 2007.

1. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a customer who has a small flower bed under her kitchen window. Each spring she plants some annual flowers in it. Two years ago, she sprinkled a thin layer of cypress muclh around the flowers. This was the first time she had done this. This particular year, she ants her kitchen so bad that she had to call an exterminator. The next year, she planted flowers, but never got around to mulching around them. Not a single aunt in the kitchen. This spring, planted flowers and spread a thin layer of cypress mulch around them, and once again had a problem with ants in the kitchen. This has led her to think that her aunt problem was caused by the mulch around the flowers. I say it purely a coincidence. Opinions please.
  2. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

I would say that mulch does attract ants, b/c ants are attracted to moisture, and mulch retains moisture. its' possible.
  3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Sprinkle borax with the mulch. If ants like the mulch they will hate the borax.
  4. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

That makes sense -thanks.
  5. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

6. sicnj

sicnj LawnSite Senior Member

i had a few yards of black dyed mulch in the yard, and i loaded it up for a job last week. towards the bottom of the pile it was invested with ants. I have never seen so many ants.