1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mulch/Chippings Disposal

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by parisq, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

It will save a lot but 3 to 5 inches is getting on the large side, at least for mine. Mine chops it up pretty fine. I run my loader bucket about 8 inches to a foot off the ground and knock stuff over in front of me. Just watch the sidewalls on the tires...sapling stumps make pretty good tire spears. I leave my blades on the dull side so it shatters them rather than cutting them clean. Good luck and go slow/be safe!
  2. parisq

parisq LawnSite Member

I am concerned about the sapling "spears". That's why I might use the CTL HD mower for the virgin brush. No way to puncture a tread. <g> Thanks for the input.
  3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

The tire punture hazard depends a lot on what kind of tires are on the tractor. If it has agricultural or industrial (R4) tires I don't think you have too much to worry about. Turf tires on the other hand, which are what I run, are not very puncture resistant.