1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mulch clippings under my right blade

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by towtruck212, Apr 30, 2013.

1. towtruck212

towtruck212 LawnSite Member

When mowing thicker grass with my 52"scag walk behind my engine Boggs quite a bit more than it used to and it is leaving a streak of mulched up clippings about 4" wide directly under the right hand blade. I have also noticed that it seems there is not lot of clippings being discharged. I don't not have any blockage or any mulch kit on it. The blades are on correct as well. Any help is appreciated.

2. Vecchio Lawn Care

Vecchio Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Sharpen them or clean your deck?
  3. towtruck212

That's all good.
  4. waters lawn care

waters lawn care LawnSite Member
    from alabama

I would check and be sure the pivot arm is not seized up for the belt tension.I have had this happen on both of my gravely's.The belt should receive a constant tension that is what springs are on these arms for.I repaired mine and have to repair this problem about every 300-400 hours also use anti-seize when repairing if not able to grease.
  5. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

When was the last time you checked the engine rpm's?

6. towtruck212

Thanks Waters...I will look into that.

Old timer I have not checked the rpms on it.
  7. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

I have seen Z mowers & midsize mowers turning as low as 2800 rpms and the owners just thought they were getting old and not performing as well as they did when they were new. Every engine serviced in my shop is checked with a tach before it is signed off by the service manager.

My low priced tachs of choice are built by SENDEC. They use an inductive pickup wire which can be wound into a tight coil, slightly smaller than the tach housings, and zip tied to the underside of the units. They will last for several years. Just hold the coil close to a spark plug wire to get an instant reading.