Mulch Colorant...........Any Good?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jrblawncare, Mar 1, 2001.

1. jrblawncare

jrblawncare LawnSite Senior Member

As I look at the back of the march 2001 Leonard catalog I see "Mulch Magic Colorant" Restore the fresh,colorful appearance of your mulch at the fraction of the cost of re-mulching....ect..ect..Has anyone used a mulch colorant?If so,what do you think of it.THANKS JOHN

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

We buy ours thru Lesco and have had much success. we do our mulching for our clients the latter part of the summer when mowing is virtually non existent.

I have found that this has become an added service in the spring. If someone requests we can fluff and then apply this product to the existing mulch and it will look like the beds were freshly mulched.

The colorants will cost you approximately .09-.12/sf vs .30/sf for mulching.

http://www.nortechforest.com/products/mulch.html

Hope this and their site helps you out.
    Kris

[Edited by kutnkru on 03-01-2001 at 08:11 PM]

3. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

What do you charge to apply? How long will it last? Is it environmentally friendly?

4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

We charge at the same rates we would for manual labor.

I find that if we cover a bed from two different directions that this works best. Provides a more uniform coverage. We use a hand held sprayer for this service as well.

I have found that the product will usually last approximately 6 weeks for the heavier rates.

As far as environmentally friendly, its basically a paint just like the GreenLawnger for turf. So I would say yes, its okay.

Hope this helps.
    Kris

5. jrblawncare

jrblawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Kris,It looks like I can get about 3200 sq.ft. of coverage out of a 1/2 gal.{4 oz per gal.of H20}will cover 200 to 400 sq.ft of bed.Sounds like easy money!!The part I don't like is it only lasts for 6 weeks? Any others use this STUFF?

6. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

Just doing some research. Anybody use this in the last few months with an opinion on it?

Thanks.

7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I used the Lesco brand earlier in he year. I think it was $37 per quart. I had a very large area to cover and it took a long time. This was the first time that I ever tried mulch dye. It's just like spray painting. I filled some large rubber maid storage bins with water for my supply. My back was sore when I was finished!

8. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Some lco's don't like it because if it blows or if there is foot traffic it can look rough in a short period of time.I suppose it would work well if the colors are close.If you paint it bright red you could have some problems.

9. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

i used some of the lesco stuff....yes lasted about 6 to 8 weeks......i used an hourly rate when i charged because i was new to it also ...i think if you used a lot of it yuo could figure a footage rate

i used a back back sprayer

10. mac43rn

mac43rn LawnSite Member

will this mulch paint stain concrete?