Mulch Converting lbs. to cubic yards

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by andyreed, Apr 5, 2009.

1. andyreed

andyreed LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Hi, I am wondering if anyone knows a formula to convert mulch from pounds to yards. I found a supplier that sells it by the ton. Any info would be appreciated.

2. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

As long as he keeps it dry under a roof..otherwise Id say he's probably ******** .

3. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

lol!:laugh::laugh:

4. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

We have a supplier that does that here and I try to stay away from them if I can a wet yard is about 1 ton a normal dry yard is about 1000 lbs but it all depends on how wet or recently dyed its very hard to judge.

5. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

I had a GMC W-3500 dump grain body. I highly doubt my 10 yards of mulch was 10,000 lbs. I once had a 6 yard loader dump a heaping load of rblend (accidentally) putting me at gvw 20K. Not only did it blow out my axel seals, but you could FEEL it! Like a rubber band. The truck could not be driven. I would guess its more like 5-650lbs

6. ExtExc

ExtExc LawnSite Member

yeah unless the water content is controlled by storing inside, thats ********. you could potentially be paying for water. If he is paying by weight, he could be screwing himself and trying to pass it on.

7. andyreed

andyreed LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Thanks for all the positive help:dizzy:. It is actually a local city that recycles storm damaged trees and what not. Then sells it for $30 per ton. I went there today and decided not to go that route. Found a better product elsewhere at a reasonable rate. But thanks for the responses.

8. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

mulch weighs anywhere from 500lbs a yard dry to 750lbs a yard wet to the saturation point.

9. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

Most of my 5 yard loads weigh in at 2.2T or 4400lbs. 4400/5= 880lbs yd