Mulch Cost $28.00/Yard How much is fair for Delivery + Labor

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Joe2920, May 23, 2007.

1. Joe2920

Joe2920 LawnSite Member

I pay $28.00 Give or take a buck for mulch most customers I have only require 3-6 Yards what is fair for delivery and putting it down... how much extra should i charge for pulling up all the **** that will be under the mulch weeds etc... I was considering maybe 65.00/yard delivered and put down...it seems to cheap when I do the math and have 2-3 guys for 2-3 hours plus fuel and going to pick up the **** for $111.00. What do you guys usually charge...???????

2. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

I get 78 a yard installed here. I pay the same for mulch. I charge an extra 30 per yard installation if i have to remove old pinestraw and 40 dollars for cleaning out old mulch. These are not set in stone as i figure everything on the specifics as needed. Like do i have to cart the mulch in a wheelbarrow a longer than average distance or can i just shovel it out of the truck right into the bed.

3. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I'd charge about 80 per yard delivered and installed, and I'd charge extra for pulling weeds or removing debris, 38-65 per hour depending on if gas equipment is used.

4. DixieFerris

DixieFerris LawnSite Senior Member

I pay $21 a yard for premium, dark brown hardwoods and install for $75 a yard up here

5. hdhillin

hdhillin LawnSite Member

WOW!! I believe the going rate in here is 45.00 per cubic yard installed. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

6. Bigray

Bigray LawnSite Member

I just did a job for one of my client's, i charged 70.00 per yard for premium red mulch pre bagged from wal mart.

i prefer to buy the bagged type because it installs faster and easier. imo.

7. hdhillin

hdhillin LawnSite Member

Bigray,

I do know what you mean with it being faster and easier. How many cubic yards did you install? I am looking at my next install 68 cubic yards and the client wants it hauled in in bulk. Not looking forward to the mess.

8. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

I just did some math here to show how much can be saved buying n bulk versus buying by the bag. Lowes sells a 2 cu. ft. bag for 2.98. It would take 13.5 bags to make a cubic yard. That would cost you 40.23 per cubic yard. I get a better mulch from the place i get it for 28 dollars a cubic yard. You are pretty much sending 12 dollars per yard up in smoke by buying bagged mulch. Additionally IMO the bagged mulch doesnt look as good as long or last as long as bulk mulch because it is ground up too fine and usually contains a high percentage of bark, ground leaves and small amount of dirt. I dont know where most of you get mulch but here there is a site prep company that offers mulch , soil and rock products to landscapers. They grind their own trees removed from site prep work that they do. They only use the trunk for premium bulk mulch and do not grind the small limbs and leaves. Where do most of you get your mulch at?

9. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

$15/yard here but you must take a tractor-trailer quantity.

$14/yard you pick up in your own dumptruck (but its way off in the boonies).

10. john_incircuit

john_incircuit LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

For triple shredded mulch over 10 yards, we pay $16 delivered and charge $75 per yard installed. Edging and prep is extra. One person can easily install one yard an hour.