Mulch...Delivered or Haul it yourself?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Ecoscape01, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

For those who don't have a Dump truck or Dump trailer, how do you get mulch to your properties. Do you pay your supplier to deliver it or do you make multiple trips loading up the bed of your truck and trailer? If your just doing a spring refresher on a small property and using say 3 or 4 scoops, is it more profitable to make multiple trips or have it delivered? One buddy of mine thought I was crazy when I talked about using my truck and a trailer but then my other buddy said that his brother almost always uses his truck and a trailer(don't know what kind) to haul his mulch.
  2. thes

thes LawnSite Member

Usually, if it's just 1-2 yd mulch job...I'll use the bed of my pickup. If it's a 4+ yd job, I'll have it delivered.
  3. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

I will use my trailer (6.5x12 with 2' sides) and usually can fit 2 some times 3 yards in it. I like using my trailer because its a real nice level when shoveling it into wheelbarrows compared to bending over when it's on the ground. I will at times make 2 trips but that's it. Anything over 6 yards gets delivered. The sawmill is close to most of my work. Same for top soil but my trailer maxes out at 2 yards. Anything more and the tires can't take it.
  4. palawnman

palawnman LawnSite Member
    from PA

As long as I can fit it in the back of my truck or trailer, I will pick it up. As long as I dont have to go out of my way to get it. If I have to make more than 1 trip to get it, or if I have to go out of my way to get the mulch, I will have it delievered. Time is money, it only costs $20-$25 for delivery, depending on distance. Multiple trips wastes gas and my time. I'd rather be working and making money.

5. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Usually delivery however when I get my dump trailer I plan on delivering my self.

6. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

If your 1yd or under buy a couple of bags,it might cost more but you don't have to waste bulk mulch and you can store the bags for awhile.
  7. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

Some mulch sellers offer free delivery if you order over a minimum amount. If i can fit it in the truck then i just get it but sometimes its better to just have it delivered once you factor in your time and expence to go get it yourself.
  8. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

i will usually use the trailer. i can get 4 yards in my trailer, and another 2 in the truck. but anything over that it will be delivered. im actually thinkin im goin to start getting it all delivered, cuz im puttin alot of weight in the truck, and its already startin to fall apart. and it gets crappy fuel mileage.
  9. Buckeye Lawncare

Buckeye Lawncare LawnSite Member

I put it on the trailer! SEE, I think that load was 7 or 8 yards

Five Star 009 (4).jpg

Five Star 009 (4).jpg
  10. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I can get 2 yards in the bed of my truck if I tarp it. I can get 3.5 to 4 yards in my trailer if i am careful and not going very far. Anything over 5 though will normally get delivered. I prefer to haul it myself though so I can move the trailer as needed.