mulch dilemma

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by spin2098, May 12, 2005.

1. spin2098

spin2098 LawnSite Member

Well here is the deal. We maintain a franchise of restaurant's in the area that has six stores we take care of. I have done mulch for many years and seen everything however I am venturing into a request that is begin made for next year. See the mulch beds have pilled up and the old mulch needs to be removed before we lay the new mulch next year. Now normally when we mulch edging is included in the price. This however is much more work. To remove the old mulch about 2 to 3 inches deep is something I have never really done. Now I charge $60 a yard for regular mulch and $70 a yard for dyed. How would you all charge for this work. I mean this is not edging so I have to make the price more for this any suggestions?
  2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I would try to answer your question for you if I had any idea of what you were asking.
  3. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

I think your asking how to remove the mulch? Sometimes nothing is easier than a shovel and a wheelbarrow ... try to guesstimate how long it will take you.

ECHOTURF LawnSite Member
    from usa

I have a project coming up too for eight 12 plexes which all the mulch will need to come out before installing the new stuff. I haven't submitted the estimate yet but I would think taking it out is twice as much work. I'll probably submit the cost as double the labor as if I were to install it. It's funny how you randomly ponder questions like that to yourself and come up with a solution when some else asks it.

Anymore ideas from others would be great! A big 500 gallon shop vac would be great!! :)