1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mulch, discharge, or bag on St. Augustine?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brucec32, Dec 25, 2003.

1. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I prefer mulching whenever possible, since there's less cleanup and problems with clippings around tight areas. For those who mow St. Augustine, which method to you use and why? I'd also like to hear the mowing height range you use.
  2. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

My accounts almost completely St Augustine. Mulch all the time. Use double blade set up with mulching kit.
    Why do anything else? I'd just be causing myself more work/hassle to bag, and discharging does not look as good.

Height is 3" range, depending on actual soil texture/conditions.
  3. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Same here, mulch all the way.
  4. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Central Florida location. Have mulched exclusively for the last 12 or 13 years or so. Height range is 4" in summer 3.5 to 3.3/4 in winter. Just keep your blades razor sharp and you won't have any problems. No need to use double blades if you have a OEM mulch kit installed. If you don't, go out and get one.
  5. greensideup

greensideup LawnSite Member

We mulch all out yards during the growing season. We run a bagger on one mower for each crew from december until the end of march. As soon as the oak leaves stop falling, the mulch kit goes back on. Cutting height ranges from about 3.25" to 4.25". A little lower in the winter. I would mulch it if I were you. We change the blades every other day when mowing becomes weekly, and have no problems. SCOTT
  6. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

Interesting question. I have several opinions, but it's hard finding good info on St. Aug. All in all, I like it. It's a good grass for shady areas here in the South . . . but it struggles in direct sun.

It mulches and takes a cut really well - but go 1/2" too low and it looks slaughtered; a thin, ugly, raggy look, with clippings all over the place.

I personally think it looks best at around 3" during the growing season, but 3-1/2" seems best for once a week servicing when it's actively growing, and rainfall is adequate. When rain is frequent, it really grows fast, and takes a cut really well. Never even considered using doubles.

When the summer drought gets harsh, I raise it to 4". Then in early fall, back down to 3-1/2", then 3" in late fall. Now as it's almost dormant, I've got them all down to 2-1/2" now.

Is there a good website or even an article that goes into detail about St. Aug?

BTW, brucec32, just wanted to say you are one of the most valued members on this forum. Your comments and business acumen lend much insight to all of us. Your contributions here are significant. Thank you.
  7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

8. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

'preciate it, Fantasy!

Some good info there!
  9. Kevin M.

Kevin M. LawnSite Member

Best grass here in the south bar none in my book !!! The only disease you run into and this is on occasion is Brown Patch in the fall with the longer nights but is usually knocked down by Mancozeb and it looks wonderful after you apply Liquid Iron from Lesco on during the summer like I do.
  10. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Im finding that were dealing w/ more Augustine as they develop the hybrids to endure cooler and dryer temps, they are using it in the Carolinas even now.

Avg. 2"
    Hot/Shade 3"
    End Season 1.5"

We mulch, but if I recall always have to mow higher than that, usually because of the thickened thatch. The thatch really seems to need attention in this grass, the grass sets up higher...Keep sharp blades

I just looked at Fantasies link, so Ill stop babbling now.