1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Mulch & Enclosed Trailer

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by TimberlandGrounds, Mar 25, 2004.

1. TimberlandGrounds

TimberlandGrounds LawnSite Member

I use an enclosed trailer to haul my lawn cutting equipment (it is a car hauler, rear ramp door). I have several clients that want me to do their mulch, several of them are 12-20 yards of mulch. I am trying to figure out the most economical way to get mulch to their houses. I have a 3/4 ton truck, but that only takes 2 yards.

I am tyring to determine if a skid loader would be able to drive up the rear ramp of my trailer, and dump mulch in the back of my enclosed trailer. I know it will fit (width), height will be a problem, but the loader would only go in as far as it could go.

My concern is weight. I am just not sure if an enclosed trailer (rear ramp) could take the weight of the skid loader.

Does anyone else do this? Any suggestions?

2. BigEd

BigEd LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

Have it delivered, over 10 yards theres no delivery fee from my guy.

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

delivery! even if its not free $20 isn't going to break the bank.

4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

The rear door will not hold the weight of a skid-steer.

Just have it delivered.

5. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

Have it delivered and work any delivery charge into your price.

Derek

6. Border Guy

Border Guy LawnSite Member
    from NC

Not a good idea to drive the skid steer on your trailer ramp. It may bend the door over time. If you get a track loader, that may be a different story. Check with the trailer manufacturer for capacities to make sure.

7. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

rent a dump trailer and load your truck and the dump trailer I am sure it would be your best bet. loading an enclosed trailer will be a pain in the ass and probably mess up the wood on the inside because it is warm and wet.
    good luck
    Dylan

8. gator-town

gator-town LawnSite Member
    from bfe

have it delivered and charge minimum handling fee (10%-15%) for coordination .