1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

mulch estimate...........

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ltw77, Mar 29, 2007.

1. ltw77

ltw77 LawnSite Member

I have a customer that needs 35 yds of mulch spread around the property. The majority will be going 150'-200' from the dump site. He is offering me the opportunity but his other option is having it sprayed in. I asked how much they were charging to spray it and he says $14.00 per yard plus the mulch. Am I on crack?! I was figuring max 2 days and charging around $1,000(just spreading). Thats just under $30 a yard. I thought that was low?! I am going to make some calls and find out what the total is from the 2 companies he mentioned. Just curious what you guys felt about this?? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. dekalb lawn man

dekalb lawn man LawnSite Member

I would charge about 1500 to do that work if I were you. However the real question is, how busy are you and do you really need the money?
  3. Superior L & L

Superior L & L LawnSite Senior Member

You may just want to walk away from that one! It would probably take 2 guys with no machines two days. Thats a lot of work for $500.00

Bark blowers are great for contractors, charge your customer $55.00 per yard and pay a blower truck $35.00 per yard installed.
    It just sucks when a customer can hire a blower truck company
  4. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

yep about $1500 is what id charge
  5. bishoplandscape

bishoplandscape LawnSite Member

Don't ever take a customer's word for it did you actually see a written estimate because i think that is way low price for a sprayer.:nono:
  6. Alpha01

Alpha01 LawnSite Member

Don't do it. Save yourself the headache. Better you walk away from it now than in the middle of the job after you figure how little you are making and how much work your doing for pennies
  7. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I think $1500 is too low. I would charge about $2400 for it.
  8. ltw77

ltw77 LawnSite Member

I gotta say, I thought I was losing it for a minute! This cust has always been straight up w/ me or so I thought. I think I will tell him I am not going to insult him by giving him a price that is out of the ballpark. Then throw my number in at the end and say there is no way I could touch it for less. It would show respect but give him a chance to maybe come back with the old, "Well, I really like you and I wanna give you my business....blah, blah, blah". I guess we will see tomorrow, I'll post up the results tomorrow. Thanks a lot everyone for the feedback!!
  9. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

You and a helper could do it in one day. You would be working hard, but you could do it. I can install 6 yds in about 1.5 hrs, by myself. So I think 2 guys could do 35 in one day. Go for it! I love mulch jobs. Lots of money to be made.

SILVERSTREAK INC LawnSite Senior Member

my buddys spraying, dxown in VA hes getting 35 a yard installed, no one is etting mulch for less than 10 a yard, so for 24 a yard its really cheap. my buddy is on the cheap side and thats at 35, he normally trys higher....but other guys are killing the business doing one yard at a time out of a pickup for 35 installed....

id save yourself the headaches and look for better ways to make the cash....buttt if he knows your doing it all by hand he might justify and go along with a 30 or 40 dollar charge per yard....

good luck