mulch estimate

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by flakebortch, May 15, 2008.

1. flakebortch

flakebortch LawnSite Member

This lady hired me yesterday to do her lawn, and she also wants an estimate to mulch her beds. How do you figure a mulch estimate? She needs about 25 yards, and I can get it for $31/yd.

Do I mark up the price per yard and/or charge by the hour? What's a decent mark up? Judging by her house, neighborhood, landscape, and stonework she's not scrubbing pots for a living. But I'd hate to mow her lawn while watching some other schmoe mulch her beds because I accidentally try to gouge her.

Please help.
  2. CutApproved

CutApproved LawnSite Member
    from NJ

$31/ yard sounds high,, what kind of mulch is it.
    Generally around here we charge about $60-$65/yd. Thats just for installing it. You would want to charge by the hour for how long it takes you to edge the beds, clean them up, weed them, spray them etc...

Oh and don't use fabric.

Good luck
  3. flakebortch

What do you pay for mulch down there?
  4. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

mulch costs around 14 bucks a yard if you order atleast 80 yards.
  5. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I pay about $30/yd for hemlock or pine mulch. I charge $75/yd delivered and installed. That does not include edging and weeding.
  6. flakebortch

So do you charge the same price per yard whether you do 1 yard or 50 yards of mulch? Or do you come down in price per yard?
  7. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

there is no set rule for bidding on will come to you sooner or later.just remember,your in business to make a fair profit,not give stuff away.
  8. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I would be flexible on price if the quantity was more than 15 yards. Or I might include some prep.
  9. NOOB

NOOB LawnSite Member

WOW what kind of mulch is that
    Down here in FLA we have a few places that the most is $18. a yard
  10. AAXteriors

AAXteriors LawnSite Member

I can get straight fouble ground mulch for $15 here. Also how do you know that she needs 25yds? did she tell you? If she did i would measure it first because you can get caught with a lot of extra mulch.