1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mulch estimate...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnworks, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I am doing a mulch estimate for a residential account. This is my first mulch job, because in GA we mostly just use pine straw. I estimated the beds to have 7540 square feet. I am not sure if I want to spread it one inch or two inches. It has a layer of red mulch down, but it is fading. Should I go one or two inch? I figure one inch to be about 23.5 yards and two inches to be about 46.5 yards. There is no bed edging or bed cleaning. What would you charge to do this yard? The only price on mulch I have found so far is $26 a yard. So should I spread it one inch or two inches and how much should I charge per yard?

2. At least triple the ptice of materials.

I would go with 2"+ for the first time with this mulch.

1" is thin and when it rains it may wash out and show the other mulch.
  3. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

I would reccomend going atleast two inches using hardwood mulch. I really don't like the dyed mulch. It bleeds onto everything.
    did i read correct, you said 26.00 a cu.yd for mulch??
    I pay 13 a yd for hardwood here in AR.
    Good luck
  4. Harvestman

Harvestman LawnSite Member

We always mulch at 1 1/2 inches. In my area we pay $21 yrd for triple ground black mulch. The going rate in my area is $55 yrd installed. That does not include pre-m or bed edging that is priced separately. Harvestman
  5. King City Lawns

King City Lawns LawnSite Member

$26/yard!!!!!!!???????!!!!!!! wow !! I just ordered more this morning, 13.50. look around you can do better and make more money. I agree with the tripple the mat. idea. I bid by the hour but usualy is close to between 2 and 3 times the materials.
  6. Nick

Nick Banned

Black dyed double or triple is not cheaper then 20 bucks a yard unless you buy 100 yards at a time in most areas.